Tuesday, September 21st 2010
My flight leaves for Ethiopia in less than 48 hours. I think my head is going to explode. My heart is pounding. My mom is frantically trying to pack 4,000 things I will probably never need into a duffel bag the size of my car. I brought enough deodorant and advil for the next century. Regardless, I fully anticipate being sick and smelling like curry for the better part of the next two years.
I said my first goodbye’s last night. It was tougher than I thought.
I will miss my family. I will miss my relatives as well (shout out to my cousins) . I will miss all my friends something awful– the 1161 boys, the hills crew–and definitely Jennings, Hawkins, and the Deane family.
Saying bye to my mom and dad will break their hearts. Saying bye to my girlfriend will break my heart. She’s a lot prettier than I am. (and smarter too…she designed this blog)
The craziest part of all of this is how little I know about what I will be doing. I will be working as a business adviser in the resource management and tourism sector. I train for three months near the capital city before being placed. Hopefully, I will be in a place like this:
I will finish this post with a couple of goals I have for my trip:
1. To do some good for some people who deserve it
2. To better understand whats important.
3. To grow closer to my girlfriend, even though I’m half the world away
4. To leave the places I travel to with a better understanding of myself and to leave a bit of myself in those places that I travel to (See how I did that?)
5. To play soccer with some Africans. I’m really excited about a few particular items I packed: A soccer pump and 5 deflated soccer balls–to give as gifts to the kids in the community I live in. I will be posting my address soon…if (when) you send me a care package, include a cheap deflated soccer ball.
6. And finally, and most importantly, to share with the 3rd world the amazing talents of Justin Beiber
Now, start planning your next vacation for Ethiopia. Bring socks, soccer balls, and my girlfriend with you.